Public Utilities Branch

About Public Utilities Branch

The Branch of Public Utilities primary responsibility is to administer and manage the construction, operation and maintenance of the Tribes infrastructure for water, waste water and distribution collection systems, facilities and sanitation services for the community.

The following services are provided for the community:

  • Water treatment facilities
  • Water distribution maintenance and repairs
  • Wastewater treatment facilities
  • Solid waste collection and disposal
  • Underground utility installation and maintenance oversight
  • Maintenance of over 90 tribal buildings including Health & Wellness Center

The Branch of Public Utilities consists of the following departments:

  • Administration
  • Janitorial/Custodial
  • Building Maintenance
  • Maintenance Engineering
  • Building/Safety Inspections
  • Water/Wastewater/Distribution
  • Environmental Health
  • Sanitation and Landfill
  • Ground keeping


The mission of the Branch of Public Utilities is to provide our community with the highest standard of public service that continually enhances the quality of life within our reservation boundaries.

Commonly Asked Questions

If I see water leaking, what should I do? If you see water leaking, please call Public Utilities with the location of the suspected water leak.

What is the process for submitting a work order?

  1. A work order must be filled out by an authorized signer (e.g. person responsible for the bill.)
  2. It is then authorized, prioritized and sent to the appropriate Public Utilities department.
  3. Assessed on job needs, start date, timeline and estimated completion date.
  4. Arrangements are made with Public Utilities and homeowner on start date, timeline and estimated completion date.
  5. If work is delayed, Public Utilities will communicate with the customer about the delay.
  6. Upon project completion, billing is prepared.

I have submitted a work order but am unsure of the status, who do I contact? Please call Public Utilities to get an update on the status of a submitted work order.

How do I pay an outstanding bill with Public Utilities? There are three options for making a payment:

  • Cash or check payments can be made at the Public Utilities front office.
  • Debit card payments can also be made at Cash Management in the Tribal Administration Building.
  • A payroll deduction or per capita deduction can also be arranged for services in advance for those who qualify.

How do I apply for the Indian Health Service Sanitation Facilities Program? Under the authority of Public Law 86-121, the Indian Health Service (IHS), Office of Environmental Health and Engineering is presently engaged in a program to assist Indian families with the construction of sanitation facilities which include water supply and sewage disposal facilities.  The funding for this program is provided by the Congress to the Indian Health Service.  These funds are to be used for items such as water wells, septic tanks, drainfields, lagoons, and community water and sewer hookups.


  • You must fill out and sign an Application for Sanitation Facilities.
  • You must be a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe, band, or group.
  • You must own the property on which your home is located, and provide with your application a copy of your proof of ownership of allotment, or a copy of your lease agreement (10-year minimum required).
  • The home must meet the following Minimum Home Construction Standards: The home must be your permanent residence and capable of being occupied 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. The structure and foundation must be sound, the home must be insulated, and must have a permanently installed heating system.  The home must be served by a commercial electric utility and have interior plumbing facilities.  Travel trailers, motor homes, and camp homes do not qualify for service.  Mobile homes must be permanently placed on the site, blocked leveled, tied down, skirted, and the towing tongue and wheels removed.
  • Submit the completed application to Travis Wells, General Manager, Branch of Public Utilities. The application will be reviewed and presented to the Tribal Chairperson for signature. The application will then be forwarded to the IHS.
  • You will be notified by a representative of the IHS once your application has been received, and an evaluation of your site will be scheduled.

Where can I get a copy of Annual Water Quality Reports?