Fire Update: 26 Sept

Warm Springs, OR September 26, 2020

Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs Lionshead Fire Update
Saturday, September 26, 2020 – 10 a.m.

More Winds Test Control Lines

Special Notes: The Rocky Mountain Incident Management Team shared a pre-recorded Public Meeting message to discuss the fire situation and evacuation level changes in Marion County. The recording is available on Facebook (

Current Situation:

Friday brought quite a bit of rain to the west side of the fire. This raised fuel moisture and helped reduce the immediate danger of additional spread in that area. The east side received spotty precipitation and gusty southwest winds. Fuel moistures on the east side of the crest remain somewhat lower. The wind and dry fuels have resulted in some fire activity in green islands within the fire’s perimeter. These islands may put up smoke during expected windy conditions today. Building high pressure could bring east winds to the fire area today, testing control lines throughout.

The high winds yesterday tested some areas of the fire that had been inactive. Other than interior burning, the fire showed minimal spread. In some areas, crews disengaged from their work to avoid the possibility of hazard trees falling due to windy conditions.

Firefighting Efforts by Division: (Refer to the map for division breakdown.)

Very little movement has occurred on the north edge of the fire in Division A over the past few days. Cool weather and higher humidity allowed crews to continue going direct in this Division; however, strong winds throughout the day forced firefighters to frequently move away from hazard tree areas to safe locations. These strong winds did not pose a threat to containment lines. As weather allows, firefighters will continue their work to secure the fire’s edge and reinforce the contingency line to the north.

In Division E and G, south to N, firefighters worked on mopping up hot spots along the fire line and doing more chipping.

In Division R the fire is still hung up in the lava fields but is not spreading. Patrol of this area and planning for future efforts occurred Friday. The contingency line on Road 12 in done. Hazard tree removal continues.

In Division S and T, the damp conditions have allowed for more direct line construction and mop up.

Structure group worked in the Detroit area assessing structures and roads. Residents were allowed to travel to and from the Detroit area on Friday under pilot car escort.

Division W Is being monitored by air and from lookouts. Coordination with the Beachie and Riverside fire operations continues in Division Y. The long finger of fire and associated spot fires are being directly addressed and are close to being secured. A hard closure will be maintained on Road 46 due to hazard trees in that corridor.

Some direct actions and chipping operations continue in Division Z. High winds slowed productivity.

Weather & Fuel Conditions: A high pressure system could bring easterly winds along ridges. High winds with moderate temperatures and lower humidity continue. Expect some interior burning. Light rain is possible today on parts of the fire. A slow warming trend is forecast but some showers should linger through Sunday. Monday is forecast to be drier and warmer. Good air quality is expected today and tomorrow throughout the area.

Closures and Evacuations: Evacuation levels changed in Marion County yesterday. The evacuation levels around Detroit, Idanha, and the Elkhorn community along North Fork Road were reduced to a Level 2 – “Be Set” evacuation level. While residents will be able to return to these communities under strict safety conditions, many hazards remain. Due to the remaining hazards in the cities of Detroit and Idanha and lack of basic services, people who are not residents should avoid travel to this area. The Marion County Sheriff’s Office continues to coordinate with partner law enforcement agencies to maintain an enhanced presence in the Detroit and Idanha communities as residents return to the area.

Community members who reside in Linn County may find up to date information at A map of evacuations in Marion County is available here. There are no longer any evacuation notices for the Sidwalter/Miller flats area.

Roads and trails near the fire remain closed for public safety. The 12 Road and the 46 Road will remain closed to the public for the near future. This includes roads and trails on the Confederated Tribes of Warm Spring lands adjacent to the fire and a 40-mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail between Santiam Pass and Olallie Lake. The Willamette National Forest, Bureau of Land Management, and State lands around the fire remain closed to the public. Go to for more information about closures in the area. Deschutes NF Alerts Willamette NF Alerts Mt. Hood NF Alerts.

Temporary Flight Restrictions: A Temporary Flight Restriction is in place over the Lionshead Fire and surrounding fires. Wildfires are a No Drone Zone. If you fly, we can’t. Whenever a drone is spotted near the fire all aircraft are grounded until we can be sure the drone is clear of the area. For more information, visit

Lionshead Fire Statistics:

Size: 204,340 acres
Containment: 28%
Total Personnel: 1,610
Location: 14 miles west of Warm Springs
Reported: 8/16/20, approximately 8:44 p.m.
Cause: Lightning

For More Information:
Information Office: 971-277-5075, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Media Inquiries: 541-904-0542
You Tube:

Lionshead Fire
Rocky Mountain Incident Team 1
Public Information Phone: 971-277-5075
Media Inquiries: 541-904-0542
Incident E-mail:
Incident Website:

TRIBAL Lionshead Update 09_26_2020
AQ Report 9.26.20